Call for Artists
Biennial Ambassadors: Open Call for Artist Nominations
Nominations accepted from September 23 - October 13, 2014
ArtPlant is excited to announce the Biennial Ambassadors, a collaborative program with the Biennial of the Americas. This pilot artist exchange pairs Denver and another sister city in the Americas for a year of artistic interaction leading up to an exhibition during the Biennial. In 2014/2015 we are thrilled to turn our focus towards Mexico City, Mexico and our cultural partner there, the progressive artist-run school and residency SOMA. Two artists from each city will be selected for a 10-week residency and featured in an exhibition during the 2015 Biennial of the Americas.
This exciting opportunity will allow two artists from Denver to immerse themselves in the artistic community in Mexico City, hosted by the education and residency organization SOMA. Each participating artist will receive up to $20,000 in funding towards their project that includes a personal stipend, and a budget for materials, housing, studio space and transportation while in residence.
We are calling on Denver residents to nominate artists to participate in this program. Nominated artists will then be asked to accept their nomination and submit information about their work. A selection committee made up of local arts professionals will select a short list of qualified artists from the pool of nominees to present to a curator from Mexico City, who will then select two of these artists to serve as Ambassadors. Simultaneously, a Denver curator will select two artists from Mexico City nominated by their local committee to participate in a parallel program here in the Mile High City.
What We're Looking For in Artists:
- Artists must live and work in the Denver metro area (including Denver, Arapahoe, Adams, Boulder, Broomfield, Jefferson and Douglas counties)
- Emerging to mid-career contemporary artists with a history of exhibiting
- Artists nominated should be able to spend 10 consecutive weeks in Mexico City between January and May, 2015
- Social artists interested in engaging with new people and cultures
- Artist’s full Name
- Artist’s contact information (email address)
- Nominating Person’s Full Name
- Nominating Person’s Contact Information (email address and phone number)
- each nominator may nominate one artist only
Inaugurated in 2010, the Biennial of the Americas stages a bi-annual festival celebrating the ideas, arts and culture of the Western Hemisphere. The Biennial of the Americas’ mission is to build meaningful and productive connections in the Americas; elevate Denver as an international city of intellectual and cultural engagement, and catalyze action through dialogue and cultural exchange. The artistic program will consists of exhibitions, public installations and performances. The next Biennial of the Americas will be held July 14 – September 7, 2015. The theme of the 2015 Biennial is Now!.
Based in Mexico City SOMAis a space to reflect and discuss about different art events in the national and international level. SOMA’s mission is to encourage dialogue, collaboration and even confrontation between artists and cultural producers from different backgrounds and generations. Through its educational programs, residences and public lectures, in SOMA the aesthetic, political and social consequences of art production are analyzed collectively.
2nd Annual Fotostream Photography Competition
Submissions accepted until Sunday October 12th, 2014
- Entry Fee: Adults: $25 for 5 photos; Youth: $10 for 5 photos
Sand Creek Regional Greenway Partnership is inviting everyone to submit photos taken along the Sand Creek Greenway to our second annual photo show! Submissions will be accepted NOW until Oct. 12th @ https://www.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=1955
- Adults: 1st place $100, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25
- Youth: 1st place $50, 2nd place $25, 3rd place $15
- John Fielder Award
- Community Award
Call for Entries: The 4 Seasons of Colfax
Entry Deadline: Thursday January 29, 2015
Join 40 West in its 3rd annual Colfax-themed show: “The 4 Seasons of Colfax”: an arts exhibition celebrating the events, history, and character(s) of Colfax Avenue (America’s longest commercial street) across the seasons. Colfax offers the special, unusual, strange and beautiful,. We want to capture the full year of weather and its impact upon the beauty and activity of Colfax Avenue. Capture a year in the life of Colfax with your photos, paintings and more. Link below for web page, where you can download the Call for Entry PDF.
We invite visual artists of all kinds—photographers, painters, sculptors, mixed-media artists, etc.—to use their artist’s eye to capture the spectacle that is Colfax—it’s neon, its people, places, events, history and ever-changing character of Main Street Colorado. Colfax Avenue has been at the epicenter of entrepreneurial activity in the metro area for more than 150+ years, with businesses and buildings still intact today, many which carry over from the 1950s car culture. Come on photographers and artists—channel your inner Jack Kerouac! Get out “On the Road” and experience the grit and the glitz of Colfax.
We are delighted to have 2 huge Colfax lovers & experts serve as jurors. Jonny Barber (ColfaxAvenue.com) and Bree Davies (BreeDavies.com)
Call for Entries: Icebreaker 6
Entries must be received by Saturday November 1, 2014
Juror: Lauren Wright, Curator and Artistic Director for the Biennial of the Americas
- The sixth annual juried exhibition sponsored by Ice Cube Gallery, a contemporary artist-run gallery located in the River North Arts District of Denver
- The exhibit has an open theme and artists of every medium are encouraged to enter
- To submit work, visit: http://www.callforentry.org
Juror: Lauren Wright, Curator and Artistic Director for the Biennial of the Americas, former curator at Turner Contemporary in Margate, UK. Wright has also developed independent curatorial projects for Tate Modern and served as Asisstant Director for Furtherfield.org, a media arts organization focused on technology and social change.
- Entry fee is $35.00 and entitles each artist to enter up to 4 images. Entry fee does not guarantee acceptance into the show.
- Ice Cube Gallery retains a 25% commission on works sold during the exhibition.
- Artwork must be ready to hang or display. Installation or works of multiple pieces must be accompanied by a detailed diagram. Artists may be asked to install complex works. Maximum weight is 50 lbs.
- Artists submitting time based media must be able to provide their own equipment.
- Artist is responsible for costs of shipping. Return shipping label is to be included with work.
- Artist is responsible for all insurance needs for their work. Artists understand that Ice Cube Gallery provides no insurance for their exhibited works.
- Juror has the right to reject any work that does not meet quality standards for the exhibit, or is not identical to work juried from digital images.
- All artworks must remain on display in the gallery during the entire show for the period of 1/8/15 – 1/31/15.
- Call for entry opens: August 18
- Submission deadline: November 1
- Notification: November 18
- Artwork received:
- December 20, 12-5pm
- December 27, 12-5 pm
- January 2, 12-5 pm
- January 3, 12-5 pm
- Exhibit dates: January 8-31, 2015
- Opening reception: January 9, 6-9 pm
- Artwork pick-up:
- January 31, 5-7 pm
- February 1, 9am-12pm
Ice Cube Gallery at the Dry Ice Factory
3300 Walnut St
Denver, CO 80205
Fri: 12-9pm; Thu/Sat: 12-5pm