Photography for Healing: A Portrait Exhibition
Photography by Gary Kaplan and Narrative by Stephanie Hamilton-Oravetz
Art Gym Gallery
August 17 – September 9, 2017
- Opening Reception: Thursday, August 17, 5-8 pm
- Artist talk led by Stephanie Hamilton-Oravetz: Saturday, August 19, 1-3 pm
Art Gym Denver is proud to exhibit Photography for Healing – A Portrait Exhibition opening on August 17, 5-8 pm. This exhibition illustrates the power of visual arts for healing trauma. This exhibition is the result of a unique project by the late photographer Gary Kaplan, who worked with Stephanie Hamilton-Oravetz to create a series of portraits as part of her ongoing healing from sexual abuse in childhood.
Art Gym is located at 1460 Leyden St. Denver, CO 80220
In this show, the combination of Gary's portraits and Stephanie's accompanying narrative provides an artistic and educational bridge to understanding this difficult issue. The message of the show is positive and strong: while the effects of child abuse may continue, the ability to heal continues as well.
The artist/survivor Stephanie Hamilton-Oravetz will be present for the opening on Thursday August 17th, 5-8pm, and will also give a talk on Saturday August 19, from 1-3 pm. Both events are free and open to the public.
The exhibition was first shown in 2014 at the Sebastopol Center of the Arts in Sebastopol, CA. Unfortunately Gary Kaplan passed away during the preparation of the exhibition at Art Gym Denver.
- The Art Gym Gallery is open Tuesday – Saturday from 9 am – 6 pm
- The Art Gym Café is open Tuesday - Saturday from 9 am - 4 pm
- Art Gym Gallery is situated within Art Gym, a 17,000 sq ft creative workspace for artists and arts professionals